Thursday, November 13, 2014

Halloween 2014



Like any human being, I gleefully appreciate any sort of a break. Anything that can actually take our minds off of the hustle and commotion of the day is a welcomed change. While Halloween has never been my favorite day, it definitely falls into the category of welcome changes.
Our family posing with the Up! house. Chief was either too ashamed or angry to look for the photo.
This year was Oliver’s first Halloween. It was the most anticipated Halloween I have had for a while. I guess there is something special about watching your own children participate in some of your childhood traditions. There is also something equally special about collecting a father’s candy tax. Fortunately for you kids, my candy tax policy is quite conservative. My tastes are now limited to a rare Twix or Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. The regime I once lived under taxed me and my siblings vigorously. It was a policy that would have put the IRS and fiscally liberal minds to shame.

For a time, I figured that my costumed candy collecting days had come to a sudden halt. Candy no longer has the alluring effect it once possessed. On top of that, I am not altogether crazy about dressing up. I guess a childhood of poorly chosen costumes could be to blame for that (being a witch seemed like such a good idea at the time). My lack of creativity was equally matched with a lack of understanding gender specific characters. Nonetheless, I was not totally abandoned to my own limitations. One year my mom helped me fashion a remarkable Qui-Gon Jinn outfit and I later joined my cousins as the third Musketeer in high school.

I guess costumes didn’t really matter to me. The real focus was on my Aunt Maureen’s popcorn balls, Grandma Gulbranson’s sugar cookies, Aunt Lily’s scones, and my family’s donuts. While my sweet tooth may not desire chocolate bars or Starbursts, it has an insatiable appetite for baked and deep fried goods! There was little applause for store-bought candy our circle of cousins. Popcorn balls, sugar cookies, and scones were the real prizes on Hallows Eve. Not even subzero temperatures and 3 feet of snow could prevent us from getting them.

I have a feeling Halloween is going to become a family favorite. The excitement I felt this year was something very new to me. I imagine I annoyed Kara with all of my ideas for traditions, costumes, and foods for the entire month of October. Halloween is unique because it is the one holiday where your imagination can go almost anywhere and create almost anything. Your Aunt Karli proved that this year with her amazing Muppets ensemble! She, like your Mom and other Aunts have an incredible talent for this stuff.
Brought to you by the incredible talents of Aunt Karli
We got to spend the evening with the McCoy's and the Hurrens and Grandma Gulbranson. There were scones, hot dogs, donuts, homemade root beer, and plenty of candy. Oliver was too little for his candy. Dutifully, I helped him take care of it. To end an already fantastic evening, Uncle Korlyn accompanied me to the best Mexican food on earth, Chipotle. As if our Halloween wasn't good enough, our burritos only cost us $3. 

Seriously, one of the best deals of the year! If you haven't tried Chipotle, you are missing out.
Let history reflect that 2014 was the year Halloween became something special for your dad. I simply cannot wait for all the fun things that are in our future. I hope you get to experience all the traditions I once enjoyed, and then add some of your own on top of it all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment