Monday, March 17, 2014

Capturing the Moment vs. Enjoying the Moment

Through no fault of my own, I have developed one of my dad’s favorite pastimes. It’s not easy for me to admit this since I have often ridiculed him for it. I finally now have to admit it, I am a people watcher. In particular, I tend to watch people during weddings, funerals, sporting events, or other memorable events. I’m not proud of it, and it most likely embarrasses Kara, but I am fascinated at how people behave during a memorable moment.

No matter what the event, I always see a handful of people that always have their phone or camera out to capture the special moment. They eagerly trail wherever the action is, emphatically snapping photos at one instant and vigorously recording video the next. The moment is all too important to ignore, therefore it must be documented religiously. While I do think it is great that people recognize the significance or importance of a moment, they often can rob themselves of a great experience. They choose the capture the moment over enjoying the moment.
What are you missing behind that 2 1/2 inch screen?

Moments are not made of just images or videos. A moment is generated by so many different things in combination with an image. In addition to seeing, what do you feel? What do you hear? What is happening outside the lens? What are you missing outside the narrow optics of your camera? What will you remember after unlocking your phone, selecting the right app, turning off the flash, zooming in, and focusing the lens? After taking all that time to capture the moment, did you leave enough time to experience it?

Please know that I am not an archaic anti-camera crusader. There is no doubt in my mind that documenting special experiences is a worthwhile endeavor. I have been the beneficiary of people who have documented important moments in my life. I would be disingenuous if I didn't admit to looking back at those photos or videos to remember the positive experiences of my lifetime. However, there is value in stepping back from the lens and fully experiencing the moment at hand without a digital filter.

Thankfully, it has never been so easy to capture a moment like it is now. At virtually any time, we can snap a picture, edit it, and send it out to as many people as we like. So you can argue that instead of reducing our ability to enjoy an experience, cameras have actually enhanced those experiences and allowed for us to share them with others. In response to that, I agree 100%! There are many appropriate times to document and share a moment with others, and I am grateful that my friends and family share their moments with me. However, don’t deny yourself of an uplifting experience for the sake of capturing it all on film.

Take a step back. See the bigger picture. Pay attention to your feelings and enjoy the moment altogether. No photo or image will ever create the feelings you would have otherwise experienced had you actually enjoyed the moment.

 By nature, moments are short and fleeting. They are instant, yet stirring. A single moment can have lasting effects on our lives. In fact, a single moment can be the catalyst for enduring change. I think that is why we have become obsessed with preserving moments through photos of videos. Moments mean so much to us.

For these reasons, I encourage you not to miss a moment. If you can capture it without diminishing its value, then by all means you should. Just remember… if you’re too busy trying to capture the moment, you might just miss it entirely.


1 comment: