Monday, August 31, 2015

Overreaction and the Parable of the Sewer Snake

I consider my rural upbringing a blessing. Overall, the comforts and experiences from country life benefited me more than a person might expect. That is not to say that our rustic lifestyle denied us some luxuries. Unlike our urban contemporaries, my family depended on a primitive sewer system. While most households never worry about waste beyond a daily flush, the Gulbranson house was inescapably attached to a nearby lagoon. Waste siphoned from the house found its way to the lagoon by means of simple tubes and plumbing. For the most part, the system worked efficiently. For the most part…

On the odd occasion, the system would malfunction. Cold winters and faulty tubing sporadically created issues that would require fixing. Seeing as my parents were frugal do-it-yourselfer’s, we often disregarded decades of advanced plumbing science and expertise in favor of cheap character-building labor. These were win-win situations: my parents got the problem fixed for next to nothing, and we siblings learned how to put up with other peoples crap.

On one occasion, the system malfunctioned during one of my parents trips to Seattle. I had hoped their absence would have warranted a visit from a professional. After all, a teenager with zero guidance or supervision could never hope to repair the problem alone. Plus, I was not eager to show up to my high-school smelling like a musty septic tank. But alas, my father arranged for Jared, my oldest brother, to visit our home to help me do the work. Jared’s lengthy experience with the family sewer qualified him for the unsavory job. Likewise, my age and position in the family hierarchy qualified me for the grunt labor.

That summer afternoon, Jared showed up to our house with all the necessary tools and equipment. The main piece was a heavy sewer snake rented from the local hardware store. Together, we heaved the sewer snake across the lawn and down into the lagoon. Knowing full well what awaited us in that lagoon, we walked gingerly around it’s shore, carefully avoid the blackened liquefied contents. Once we approached the drainage system, we set up shop and inserted the sewer snake into the obstructed tube.

The job was simple: remove the blockage from the system to allow the free flow of waste. My job was to extend and retract the snake as needed. Jared held the equipment steady as I dutifully cranked the handle back and forth and back and forth. No matter how careful we were, the job was never clean. Completing the work always meant getting your hands... um, dirty. In my juvenile wisdom, I forewent the choice to use gloves. Gloves made cranking the handle slow and inconvenient. I wanted the job done quickly. So I ignored Jared’s advice and worked barehanded.

After dozens of cranks, the snake extended far enough to reach the blockage. It took only minutes to break up the obstruction. All that was left was to retract the lengthy flexible auger. With great anticipation, I whirled the handle hurriedly. Every rotation brought us that much closer to job completion. Watching for the final length of auger, I focused on Jared’s hands as they guided the snake from the white pipe and into the coiled metal case. My carelessness would end up costing me dearly.

With a nasty jolt, the heavy metal crank stopped sharply. Jared looked back just in time to witness me yanking my finger from the tight coil of unforgiving metal. I jerked back my hand in immense pain, hopping and shaking it vigorously to soothe my throbbing index finger. When that failed, my brain followed up with the next instinctive action. Without any thought, I desperately raised my hand to my face.

Gasps immediately followed my action; first Jared’s and then mine. It was too late. My bare and soiled hand had passed beyond my lips and into my mouth. The realization was as rancid as it was embarrassing. In horror, I removed my finger and frantically spit at the ground. Between the gags and the dry heaving, I continued to spit. Jared watched, unable to breathe due to laughter. The pain of humiliation immediately replaced the pain of pinched fingers. All my family would hear of my mistake, and I knew they would not let me forget it.

In any other situation, such a reaction would have been reasonable. I’ve struck my fingers with hammers and other tools before and reacted in exactly the same way. Our natural reflex guides most of us to respond in such a way. In that light, my habitual reaction may have seemed sensible, if not logical. However, the circumstance and context of the situation made my reaction entirely foolish. 

Rather than react with levelheadedness and pragmatism, I allowed impulse and emotion to exaggerate my reaction. I had overreacted, and I ended up paying the price.

Thankfully, the price I had to pay was limited to a vulgar taste in my mouth and some minor shame. Minor consequences like embarrassment and inconvenience usually accompany overreactions like mine. But there are many instances when our overreactions carry heavier consequences.

In extreme cases of overreaction, we might have to endure disgrace, ill-repute, disaffection, heartache, or ridicule. Every time we freak out, lose our cool, or stew about, we place our reputation at the mercy of other people’s negative perceptions and estimations. Of course, our character is not defined by the opinions of others. But it is defined by our behaviors and attitudes. And as explained by Albert Einstein, “Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.” If we are serious about the quality of our character, then tempering our passion and disciplining our conduct become very advisable goals.

However, this type of discipline garners little respect in many societal circles. Instead, our grievance culture urges us to react, demonstrate, contest, and crusade against trendy evils and injustices. Fight back against police brutality! Stand against patriarchal bigotry! Resist income inequality! Abolish big game hunting! These calls to action are nothing more than invitations to overreact, wrapped in misapplied verbs and delivered in an envelope of shallow perception. Sure, the causes possess some elements of truth. Injustices exist and should be dealt with accordingly. However, most movements have evolved past the stages of activism and into the stages of overreactivism. This rapid evolution can best be accredited to the flagrant dismissal of facts, context, and expertise. Instead, the masses often establish credibility, truth, and reality in the form of likes, shares, of digital commentary.

This macrocosm of overreaction would be impossible were it not for the mortal weaknesses of the individual. The large scale dramatics give adequate testimony to our personal struggles with overreaction. We all possess a flawed degree of impulsiveness and sensationalism. Combining that flaw with ample opportunities to overreact allows us to perfect our imperfections. All experiences involving change, confrontation, criticism, and discomfort potentially serve as the catalyst for overreaction. The more piercing or vivid the experience, the more we feel compelled to overreact.

You, like many, might be fooled into the belief that you are above the frailties of overreaction. So, let’s assume that perhaps, on occasion, your behavior is less than saintly. Moreover, let’s take a more audacious step and imagine that you are an imperfect being. Do you think it possible that you possess a proclivity towards overreaction? Would you ever number yourself among the worrywarts, the defeatists, the hot-tempered, or the envious? If you would like an honest answer, you might find it by answering the following questions:

How do I react when my work is criticized?

How do I respond to genuine differences of opinion?

Do I even acknowledge that some differences of opinion are genuine?

Are my perceptions generally negative?

Do I immediately assume the worst of someone?

Can I candidly admit “I don’t know” when I don’t have all the facts?

Do I shift fault or blame without hesitation?

Do I temporarily dismiss my values on account of someone else’s weakness?

Do I stew at the success, fortune, or good works of others?

If you responded to this exercise of reflection with deep sincerity and self-candor, you likely possess a higher sense of composure. Naturally, we must not assume that you have the aura of perfection. In reality, you may struggle with multiple propensities towards overreacting. However, the fact that you were honest in your self-evaluation proves your capability of reflection and humility, both of which acutely contrast the practice of overreacting.

Others will respond to these questions less earnestly. This is to be expected – most of us fall into this category of denial and indifference. In our eyes, overreacting is someone else’s issue. We all like to pretend that we maintain a higher sense of levelheadedness or self-control. I cannot deny that there are some of us who are naturally calm and calculated. But for the rest of us, the habit of overreacting is a major stumbling block. If you are under this pretense, I urge you to remember that an overreaction is not limited to external outbursts or explosions. An overreaction is any response that is made more emotionally or forcibly than is justified. We can react irrationally in hushed speech, subdued thought, and even frigid acts.

In extreme cases, some people might respond to these questions with great offense, recoil, or hostility. If such is the case, we can very confidently diagnose such participants as overreactors. These are the people who fail to achieve a sentient or cognitive awareness of their behavior or attitudes. Disparagingly they will ask, “Who does he think he is?” Or they sarcastically quip, “Oh, he is one to talk!” They will fume, deflect, and belittle; it is what overreactors do. These reactions exemplify overreaction. Ironically, their disproportionate response betrays their own deep fight with emotions and maturity. To such is prescribed a healthy does of somber reflection and self-observation.

The overwhelming prevalence of heartache, betrayal, and mistrust in our world makes this topic exceptionally relevant. What prices have we had to pay for human overreaction? How many problems might we solve if we could approach them with dignity? How many compromises could we achieve if our responses were more measured? How much progress could we make if we acted more deliberately? Can you imagine what your personal life might look like in these conditions? Can you imagine what our world might look like?

I firmly believe that societal change and progress stems from the individual. With that in mind, I feel that addressing our personal habits of overreaction might be a good place to start. I say these things from the position of one who overreacts in every possible way; from the hidden boundaries in my mind to the open interactions in my community. And while my position does not presume the mantle of leadership, it does allow me to opportunity to invite.

Therefore, I invite you to continue shaping your character. I encourage you to avoid hastiness and impulsiveness. The more often you can react considerately and appropriately, the more often you will leave a positive mark in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment